Thursday 15 January 2015

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Before Christmas my other half and I went to see 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' a west end show based on the book by Mark Haddon. For those who have read it you will know it follows the life of 15 year old Christopher who finds his neighbours dog dead and decided to turn detective to find out who killed the dog. Christopher describes himself as 'a mathematician with behavioural difficulties' and although it isn't stated reading the book or looking at the programme tells you that Christopher has high functioning autism.




When I went to go see the show I expected it to go one of two ways. To either be a complete miss and stereotype of autism and aspergers or to be aiming in the right direction but not be convincing enough. But I was taken back by the talent of Graham Butler, who we saw playing Christopher. To say he was spot on was an understatement.

Graham had me convinced that I was watching someone with aspergers from every single word he spoke to every single movement he made, from twisting his fingers together or avoiding eye contact.

Now, I don't want to give too much of it away for those who haven't read or watched the show. To you lot I say go to Waterstones or whichever book store is nearest, if in doubt Amazon, buy and read this book. See what it is like to be in the head of someone with high functioning autism.

At the end of the first half the lights came up and I was sat in my seat stunned into floods of tears. At which point my other half took one look at me and laughed. She said she didn't understand why I had found it so sad. When I explained that although his behaviour was to an extreme, it reminded me of the little things she does, like not being able to look into someones face when she is upset. She turned round to me and told me that watching this had made her happy because she wasn't 'as autistic' as Christopher. It made her realise that she copes better than she thought she did with life.

I can't say anything else but WATCH IT or READ IT or BOTH. Take some time out to see just how challenging other people's lives can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment