Tuesday 13 January 2015

Stop the pity party stares!

Every so often I write about the important of understanding, autism awareness and the need for education. So many times have I been trying to talk to someone about my relationship and people have stared at me, took pity on me or told me I must be a saint to deal with the challenges my relationship comes with. 




And more and more it annoys me! 


I am not a saint, I do not put up with anything. 

My relationship is not because I pity my other half. I love her to pieces. And yes it can be difficult when she struggles with not seeing me for a few days, or when she openly tells family members or friends that she thinks they are fat or she can't see why they are being upset and she thinks something they are stupid. 

Yes, she can put her foot in it and sometimes I am left to pick up the pieces, convince her to apologise when she doesn't realise she's insulted someone or go with her to the doctors because she's too scared to go along. But I take everything how it comes.

But what people don't realise, is that they don't see everything. They may see the struggles and the challenges. But they don't see the flowers she buys me, the soup and tissue package she made for me when I had a cold, the zoo trips and walks she takes me on, the sacrifices she makes to help me get to my England deaf rugby training. 

They don't see her facing her fears of staying in strange places, meeting new people, eating strange food, just because she wants to try for me, because she loves me. 

You don't see the way she is when we are alone, just us. When we shut that bedroom door at night, forget about the big wide world and get lost in laughs, smiles and silliness. 

Yes, we may act like big kids at times, yes, we enjoy playing NDS and trips to the zoo. But really, who wants to be a grown up all of the time? I know I don't!  

So please, stop judging, stop those pitying stares, that 'it must be so difficult' or 'aren't you a saint' rubbish. I am a pretty ordinary, pretty boring, 24 year old that just happens to have found another person that they love.

No comments:

Post a Comment