Thursday 22 January 2015

Autism Assistance Dogs

Photo from AADI
Recently I got onto the subject of animals and therapy. It's not unusual now to hear about how animals, especially dogs, have been used a form of therapy, from working in hospitals with children to assisting with the daily activities of someone who needs them. Even more recently I heard about medical detection dogs, dogs who can detect cancer by smell, or who are trained to alert their owner when their blood sugar is low (for diabetes) or so many other different things. So I looked into it more and found out about Autism Assistance Dogs, and how dogs have been used to help children with autism find their voice. 

During my search I found this BBC news story entitled 'How an autistic child learned to say 'I love you" and yes, it brought me to tears. Watch it yourself here and find out more about how dogs have been used to help those with autism.

No comments:

Post a Comment