Tuesday 6 January 2015

Going back to work, back to the old routine

Again and again I write about the important of routine. And again and again I find myself in situations where routine has slipped or changed and the few days of struggle getting things back to everyday again.

Today I am back to work in the office, I've had a great christmas break away from the desk with my other half and with all of my family. And although half of me hates that I have had to get out of bed at 6am and not lie in till 10, yes I did a lot of that, I jump straight back into the old routine seamlessly. Give me a few hours and it won't feel like I've had a christmas break at all.

Then there's my other half. She went from seeing me a couple of nights a week in the evening and at weekends to pretty much spending every moment of the day with me for two weeks. Suddenly to go back to twice or three times a week is a shock to the system. I've been expecting it for a while, the slight strops and snaps when work is mentioned. Trying to joke it off and call her a 'snap the magic dragon' didn't work either. So how have I prepared?

We talked, the best thing we could do was talk through everything. She told me she was upset I had to go back to work, and I understand. I know it's harder for her, and it's not like I won't miss building nano-block animals, trips to town, siting on the sofa playing DS, watching Daytime TV in bed and everything else we have been doing. I will miss it all, but while I'm busy as a bee at work, she's milling around doing a few bits but not rushed off her feet that means she has time to get lonely.

With tomorrow rugby training and the next time I will see her, I will surprise her with a card or something special. Something to read when she gets lonely that tells her I love her. Romantic sap or not, it may just about work.

No comments:

Post a Comment