Monday 8 September 2014

Getting back on the job hunt....

I've written recently about the ugly world of job hunting and how much my other half has struggled with trying to find work. In my last post I talked about the services that were out there to help get those with autism into work. I didn't know how useful my other half would find it.
My last post discussed how I had turned to the  National Autistic Society for help. And since posting I convinced my other half to have a look at Remploy.




At first look the purple site and cute little characters stand out against the hundreds of other job websites out there. As a designer, it got the thumbs up for simple, attractive and welcoming design. For my other half, it got the thumbs up for being easy to navigate.

My other half openly admits to struggling with the endless applications to fill out. Having to write 100 words on how great you are isn't her strong point. She started off on Remploy filling in their questionnaires. The simple yes or no questions made it easier for her to fill them in and she confessed to taking only a 'little while' to complete and actually being 'sort-of' fun to do. The questions were about everything from her personality, likes and dislikes to what she was looking for in a job and what she thought were her barriers to finding work.

Within a couple of hours, she had set up her Remploy account, answered the questions and applied for a few different apprenticeships. While we wait to see what comes of them, I can say it was a painless and stress free process, well mostly.

Fingers crossed that this will be the site to help her find employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment