Wednesday 1 October 2014

Everyone just wants to fit in

photo taken from http://animalia-life.com/swan.html
There's  one unspoken rule in life that everyone needs to fit in. Everyone needs to have a place in the world and everyone works out where they fit in.

But in this struggle to make sure we fit into our own surroundings, with friends, family and work. We often forget that others too are struggling to fit in.

The more I observe people and the more I start to understand my other half's struggles to conform to society and fit in. The more I have come to realise we are all swans.



Above the surface of the water, most people look calm, confident. They have found a group of friends they fit into, they have found a job that, even if they don't love, they are capable of doing. And looking at the average person is terrifying, while I panic to work out if I'm old enough or young enough for different things, if my career is going where I want it to or if I am the person I have spent the last 24 years imaging to be, everyone else looks calm.

Yet, start talking to someone. Even your friends, start the conversation with the most confident of them and you soon become to realise that they too are panicking and worrying deep down. So they may be thinking of mortgages, kids, weddings you name it, they could be focused on completely different things. But still they worry too about where they fit in.

Under the water everyone is paddling like crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment